Friday, August 5, 2011

R.I.P. "Braindead" Dave :(

I just found out that our friend "Braindead" Dave has passed on. Dave was probably one of the biggest supporters of local punk rock in the area and he would put shows together for us because he really dug our band and wanted to expose us to the scene up there in SF. He owned "Force of Habit Records" and was always stoked to carry our records as well as records of other bands I played in. He never told me he was sick, but his record store was closed for periods of time recently and when I'd ask about it, he'd shrug it off and change the subject. You were a rare breed Dave, you were so kind to all of us musicians and you gave much more than you took, MUCH more. I'll miss our hour long phone conversations about music, local bands, hard to find records, and the bands you'd always turn me onto that I never heard of. I remember the time you got mad at me for putting out our latest album on CD. "Dude, why the fuck would you do that, Jonny?!? CDs are lame! Why didn't you put it out on vinyl?!?" I explained to Dave that we were just waiting on the artwork and saving funds to press it (we still haven't pressed it, ha ha). He wasn't having it and was genuinely upset it wasn't on vinyl. That was rad Dave, you were good about setting me straight on shit. If you liked it, you told me, if you hated it, you told me. Most times though, you would say you liked it :)


I love you Dave and I'm really going to miss you and seeing your name come up on my called ID for an hour long chat that would start out as a show offer for 5 minutes then would turn into a long talk about cool music. I'm going to rock the tee you gave me with your face on it tonight! Long live "Braindead" Dave!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment